Right to time off for those with dependants
- The right to time off to care for dependants is intended to be for emergencies only, and the time off taken is unpaid.
- In deciding whether to allow the time off, the employer can consider whether it is necessary, and take into account any previous dependant leave which the employee has taken.
- There is no specified limit on the length of a period of time off for dependants - but it must be reasonable.
- An employee can make a complaint to the employment tribunal that s/he has been unfairly refused time off to care for dependants.
- Dismissing an employee for taking time off for dependants will be automatically unfair.