This tool helps the team to analyse its pattern of communication and to identify symptoms of strengths and weaknesses in the team's effectiveness. The tool starts off with a fun problem-solving challenge. The team is recorded doing this task, and afterwards the footage is reviewed and the team's communication pattern is analysed.
All teams can benefit from this tool at any stage. It can help get a new team on the right track by introducing them to the communication patterns that take place within teams and by providing a snapshot against which it can plan to improve. The tool is useful for established teams too, particularly where they may be running into communication problems. The tool can highlight:
- where communication suffers from too many interruptions and/or disagreements
- teams where some individuals dominate and others contribute too little
- imbalances between initial suggestions and the evaluation and development of those suggestions
- an imbalance between giving directions and asking for ideas, and so on.
The team leader should be included as an equal participant in this tool, and should not automatically take on the role of leader in the problem-solving task.
- To analyse a team's pattern of communication and identify symptoms of strengths and weaknesses in the team's effectiveness.