Motivation is key to learning. This tool highlights some of the significant theories of motivation, and explores how they apply to a learning environment, to help you engage your learners. There are some exercises and activities to engage and motivate learners, as well as suggestions for motivating yourself as a learning facilitator. You will be signposted to some of the other tools that may be helpful in motivating and engaging learners at different times during a learning programme.
Who this tool is for:
Trainers and learning designers who wish to understand how the main motivation theories can be applied in training.
- Explore some significant motivation theories
- Identify steps to implement them in a learning environment
- Discover some practical techniques to engage and motivate learners and yourself.
Unit: Enhancing Participant Engagement in the Learning Process (5PEL)
This tool maps to the following learning outcomes:
- Critically assess a number of motivation theories.
- Demonstrate how motivation theory can be used to build and maintain learner engagement.