A Subject Matter Expert (SME) is the person who knows most about a certain topic in your organisation. They are an essential resource for most organisations, regardless of industry. However, the context of being an expert has changed dramatically over the last five to 10 years and it continues to evolve.
It’s no longer sufficient to be the person who knows the most about a certain topic in your organisation. Now the SME also needs to be an active part of relevant external networks. SMEs need to be able to sift the best information from these networks, make sense of it for the people in your organisation and then re-share it in appropriate media and language.
In short modern SMEs need to be effective digital curators.
Who this tool is for:
This tool is aimed at anyone looking to identify and support their organisation’s subject matter experts.
This tool will cover:
- Identifying SMEs within your organisation
- The value of knowledge sharing
- The role of the modern SME
- Digital curation skills.
Unit: Facilitating Collective and Social Learning (5CSL)
This tool maps to the following learning outcomes:
- Compare different models of collective and social learning.
- Describe the development of collective and social learning and their manifestations and uses in the workplace.
- Assess the factors to be considered when implementing collective and social learning programmes in organisations.